Virtual airshows
June 29, 2017, 07:31:09 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Fact vs. fiction  (Read 7155 times)
Beaker
Is airborne

« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2012, 08:33:05 pm »

You know, I think there's a LOT to be said for what we don't know, too. The base of knowledge that the real pilots have is just so much broader, it's kind of petty to pretend we ever have some kind of authoritative knowledge. We all just have "levels" of ignorance.  Grin

Ells
VFAT Staff
Is airborne

RED8

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 09:38:31 pm »

I guess that just makes us human right lol
Beaker
Is airborne

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 03:19:14 am »

Well, that and armchair enthusiasts.

Lawndart
Is airborne

Virtual Thunderbirds

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2012, 03:25:05 am »

You know, I think there's a LOT to be said for what we don't know, too. The base of knowledge that the real pilots have is just so much broader, it's kind of petty to pretend we ever have some kind of authoritative knowledge. We all just have "levels" of ignorance.  Grin

Most of us may not have first hand (or authoriative) knowledge, but we certainly have knowlegeable people around this community. I've learned more from friends and extended family of the real teams than any first hand information from its team members (who often live in a bubble/whirlwind two-year tour). Many times the people who know the most are simply longtime fans who don't mind sharing their knowledge and passion with others. And I always love listening to their stories. I try to save "levels" of ignorance for, well, ignorant people. Wink

Read a good quote today:
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid.

Beaker
Is airborne

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2012, 03:35:38 am »

I think a failure to admit that you do have some degree of ignorance is just arrogance. Wink As they say, "you don't know, what you don't know."

Lawndart
Is airborne

Virtual Thunderbirds

« Reply #20 on: February 29, 2012, 08:48:02 am »

I never said I was immune to ignorance. I've even heard that (some degree of) ignorance is bliss. Cheesy

There's a fine line between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility and I'll be the first to admit there are many things I don't know, but I have no problem sharing what I do know. Now, if some view that as overbearing or self-serving, I'm not sure how we'll survive in our infinitely ignorant levels of ignorance! Being ignorant doesn't make anyone modest by definition. Likewise, being arrogant doesn't make anyone knowledgable either, but somewhere in between we hopefully "learn more of what we don't know". Tongue

Viper likes Maverick's arrogance. Cool
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 09:09:04 am by Lawndart » Logged

Beaker
Is airborne

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2012, 08:28:45 pm »

There's a fine line between honest arrogance and hypocritical humility

Fair enough, I think that's quite true... both being self-serving, which is just human nature.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: