Virtual airshows
June 28, 2017, 02:22:13 am *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Inside view of TM HOTAS Warthog  (Read 5679 times)
Frazer
Organizer
Is airborne

« on: November 27, 2010, 06:06:38 pm »

Download high resolution pictures here

My findings of the TM HOTAS Warthog as an experienced formation aerobatic pilot are not quite as satisfying as I hoped for.
The first thing I noticed is that the stick is not smooth when you give very small inputs. Inputs that are of high importance for formation leaders flying loops and barrel maneuvers with wingmen 3 feet of your wing.

Self test:
Pull the stick back as slowly as you can.
You will notice "bumbs" which can subscribed as "stickyness".

So, I decided to take a look inside of the TM Warthog stick to see what coused this. It became clear to me as soon as I found out that the ball joint (cap and ball) are both of plastic (yes, plastic!) and besides that, there is a large surface of contact between the two. Even though it is all greasy inside, I think this design is not as perfect as it appears to be.

TM claims that the 3D magnetic sensor has a surgical precision of 16-bit resolution (65536 x 65536 values) and I for sure believe that, though when the technical system doesn't allow you to make small adjustments because of lack of smoothness, the high resolution is rather pointless.

I'm hoping that this "stickyness" will dissapear over time, though most likely it will not. For now, it is impossible to fly as smooth as required as formation aerobatic leader.

At this point, I hate to admid that my 150 euro X52Pro allows me to fly more precise as an formation aerobatic leader.

For the rest, the TM HOTAS Warthog looks and feels awesome.

Advice for protential buyers:
Combat pilot: adviced
Solo aerobatic pilot: adviced
Formation wingman pilot: adviced
Formation leader: not adviced (Problem most likely solved)

Good news, I have taken the grease of the spring and added it in to the ball socket, now the stick is smoother. The question remains for how long it will be this smooth.

I guess that the amount of grease differs on each unit, so if you incounter the sticktion and you are bothered about it, you could open *at your own risk* the stick and do the same as I did.

If TM is paying attention here, it would be good not to save on grease at the production line.

I'm very happy to make this "discovery" since I was afraid the 400 euro stick would not live up to all my requirements. For now, it does.

If someone knows what type of grease TM uses, please post it as it looks like we will need to add some grease every now and then.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2010, 10:45:45 am by Frazer » Logged

VF_#1|Diko
Could find the throttle

Virtual Falcon #1 - Flight Leader

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2010, 08:00:14 pm »

Formation leader: not adviced

Thanks for that info because I was thinking about buying this stick...so I will also remain on my X52Pro.

Goose
Could find the throttle

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2010, 08:25:37 pm »

Nice threat frazer, so you have all those expensive sensors and the ball and cap are made by cheap plastic Huh?. Doesn't make sense right?

Frazer
Organizer
Is airborne

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2010, 10:27:42 am »

Good news, I have taken the grease of the spring and added it in to the ball socket, now the stick is smoother. The question remains for how long it will be this smooth.

I guess that the amount of grease differs on each unit, so if you incounter the sticktion and you are bothered about it, you could open *at your own risk* the stick and do the same as I did.

If TM is paying attention here, it would be good not to save on grease at the production line.

I'm very happy to make this "discovery" since I was afraid the 400 euro stick would not live up to all my requirements. For now, it does.

If someone knows what type of grease TM uses, please post it as it looks like we will need to add some grease every now and then.

Lawndart
Is airborne

Virtual Thunderbirds

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 07:40:26 am »

Nice threat frazer, so you have all those expensive sensors and the ball and cap are made by cheap plastic Huh?. Doesn't make sense right?

You mean nice post (although thread is probably what you meant to write). Wink

It's not that it's cheap plastic per se... it has to be cost efficient during manufacturing! I'm sure it could be made out of a different composite or even metal at that, but you'd have to be willing to pay for it - are you? Another way to put it is how many more units would TM have to sell at a higher cost to make up for these manufacturing cost increases - at the current price point of $499 (MSRP), their profit margin is pretty slim being that the HW is a high end, quality product, and adding even higher grade materials would drive the cost up even further and the profit margin would force the MSRP up in turn too... in the end, would enough people buy the product if it was even pricier, even if it had metal/high grade composites? (In other words, for the sake of the argument, if the ball and cap were made out of metal but the HW's price was an additional $100, would enough people still buy it to provide the same profit)?

That being said, it's darn near perfect for everything the way it is now!!! ...and on a personal note, I have no problems leading with this stick myself, nor being as precise as I've gotten used to being with my (previous) FSSB and NXT modded Cougar joysticks. The minor stickiness over the ball joint is negligible and doesn't affect my precision to any detrimental degree, although I'm not sure if there are other units with a more pronounced bump/stickiness problem than mine...?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: